How To Make Coconut Milk at Home!
Coconut gives a very pleasant and cooling energy, so it is a great choice for warmer days. Coconut milk is extremely versatile and can be used for many purposes in the kitchen. It is rich in vitamins, minerals and good fats. But it is not only useful in the kitchen.
You can easily make coconut milk at home — mix grated coconut and hot water and, if desired, you can sweeten it or add spices. It usually contains from 17 to 24% fat, depending on fat content of the coconut and the amount of water you add.
When refrigerated, coconut cream will rise to the top and separate from the milk. That is normal. Just warm it up a little and shake. To prevent this in commercial sales, the producers add emulsifier and stabilizer. Therefore, it is safer and cheaper to make coconut milk at home…
HOW TO MAKE COCONUT MILK
- 1 cup dried coconut chips (where to buy organic, dried coconut chips)
- 2 cups filtered water (where to buy water purifiers)
1. Heat water on the stove until it’s hot, but not boiling.
2. Put coconut chips in blender (I recommend and use this one.) Pour hot water over the chips.
3. Blend on high for 2 minutes, or until you get a creamy, thick homemade coconut milk.
4. Line a strainer or colander with cheesecloth. Pour the coconut milk through the lined strainer into a bowl. This will remove any larger remaining coconut meat. When you’re done pouring the coconut milk through the strainer, ball up the cheesecloth and give it a good squeeze to press the remaining liquid through. You can use your residual coconut caught in the cheesecloth in a recipe that calls for coconut, or you can toss it.
5. Transfer your homemade coconut milk from the bowl into a mason jar or other container. Use the homemade coconut milk immediately, or keep in the refrigerator for up to four days.
When you make coconut milk this way, it’s delightfully fresh, creamy, thick, and full-bodied.You won’t go back to store-bought milk again!